Do you like fresh spring/summer rolls? But want to skip the roll and go straight to the bowl? This recipe is super easy, flexible, and delicious and will get an unbelievable amount of tasty veggies and noodles coated in creamy sauce on the table in no time. Use any nut in place of the toasted cashews, peanuts, almonds, etc, all work. Make it!
Fresh Summer Roll Bowl with Chili Cashew Sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 package rice noodles of choice
- 1 zucchini, thickly julienned
- 1 carrot, thickly julienned
- 1 cup red onion or shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced, optional
- 2 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced, or broccoli floret
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, hulled
- 1 Tbsp white or rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sweetener of choice, or 1 whole pitted date
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh shallot, chopped
- 1 red, thai, or serrano chili, de-seeded and chopped (leave the seeds if you like the heat, omit chili entirely if you want it 100% mild)
- 1" piece of ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3/4-1 cup warm water, as needed
1. Slice all veggies and set aside. Cook rice noodles as directed. While noodles are cooking, heat 1 Tbsp of oil in skillet and add sliced onion, carrot and zucchini. Let cook over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes until softening and starting to brown a bit. Add mushrooms and red cabbage and let cook for an additional 5-6 minutes with cover on pan. Season veggies with salt, pepper, and soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos to taste and keep warm in pan.
2. Put all ingredients for sauce in high powered blender and blend on high for 1 minute until creamy. Add water only as needed to achieve smooth creamy sauce consistency. Either pour over individual bowls of noodles topped with veggies, or toss everything together with sauce in large bowl and serve. Enjoy!